Bengal government decides not to hold college and university admission tests

0

The government of Bengal has banned state-subsidized colleges and universities from taking admission tests, apparently because of Covid-19 and the digital divide between students.

Autonomous institutions like St Xavier’s College and colleges under the Ramakrishna mission do not report to the bar, officials from the higher education department said.

The tests for admission to the Presidency were scheduled for August.

The department will be sending a notice to universities regarding admission soon.

It was decided on Wednesday that universities in Bengal will open their portals allowing undergraduate applicants to submit their application forms from August 2.

Aspirants will not be charged any application fees as dozens of families face financial constraints induced by Covid.

Education Secretary Manish Jain briefed vice-chancellors on the government’s position on admission tests in a virtual meeting on Wednesday evening, chaired by Education Minister Bratya Basu.

Some institutions preferred the admissions tests this year because they did not want to rely entirely on scores in the absence of jury exams.

Vice President of the Presidency Anuradha Lohia said: “The board of directors (of the JEE State) (which organizes the presidency admission tests) confirmed on June 22 by email that it will organize the tests. admission tests in August. I will discuss with the department to decide on the next course of action. “

Sources in the government said that the Education Ministry announced its opposition to the admission tests when the University of Jadavpur VC Suranjan Das asked during the meeting whether the tests could be organized to select the candidates.

Jain reportedly told Das that testing could not take place this year due to the pandemic and the digital divide. This excluded exams on campus and online.

Lohia then said that JEE’s board was to hold the presidency’s undergraduate admission test on August 7-8.

“Jain then said that the board was told as early as mid-June that they would not be doing any presidential admission tests this year,” said a VC who attended the meeting.

The chairman of the board, Malayedu Saha, was contacted in the middle of the meeting to clarify the situation.

“The chairman of the board admitted on Wednesday that at a press conference on June 22, he said in response to a question that the presidential admission tests would take place in August. When Jain inquired how he could make such an announcement despite instructions from the department, he remained silent, ”said the VC, who declined to be named.

Repeated appeals to Jain, Saha and the JU VC went unanswered.

At JU, arts and science teachers had requested admissions tests on campus or on digital platforms because the XII class council exams had been removed.

Students in Class XII will be assessed largely on the basis of their performance on Class X Council Exams, Class XI Exams, and Internal Assessment or Class XII Practical Project.

“In such a situation, it is advisable that prospective students are selected through admission tests,” said a teacher from JU.

Until 2019, JU admitted students only on the basis of an admission test or by giving equal weight to the admission test and jury grades plus-II.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.